August 7, 2011

Boticca

I was recently contacted by Boticca.com to see if I would be interested in reviewing their site in a post. Normally, I'm somewhat hesitant to do so, but when I heard it was a site featuring independent designers, I thought I'd give it a shot, since I'm always in support of independent fashion. So glad I did- this site has some incredible pieces by amazing designers. I had a difficult time even choosing which pieces to show, as there are so many! Take a look at these few:
Samurai Ring in Oxidized Sterling Silvery by Arosha Luigi Taglia
Envy Lope in Gold+Metallic Pink Leather by Poupee Couture
 Chivor Necklace by Paula Mendoza
Pretty awesome, right? Below is a description of the site and it's background history.

From the editor, Poppy Skinner:

Boticca is an online marketplace for top emerging independent designers of jewelry and accessories. The concept first came to life when one of the founders met a remarkable jewelry designer in the Medina in Marrakech who traveled miles between her home and the market to sell her exquisite jewelry. Boticca was created to provide a destination for emerging independent designers, from around the world, to connect with individuals who enjoy a unique piece with a story. Boticca currently features over 200 designers from 40 different countries and is continuously adding more talent to the mix.

"Every year in the second week of July, I can be found sunning myself on the beaches of Milano Marrittima, moving only to eat, drink or swim. With a mother who grew up in Italy’s capital of Rome and a father obsessed with Italian food, I guess I stood no chance of holding off against the glorious country’s allure.

If I had to sum up Italy in three words it would be chic, delicious and fascinating. From the glorious little trattoria’s, the centuries old culture to the enviably chic people, things just work better in Italy.

As I can’t get over to Italy half as much as I would like (if I had my way it would be every other month but sadly there are finances and jobs to consider,) I have the next best thing; Boticca, an amazing online site with a plethora of wildly talented designers each with a differing but equally fascinating story to tell.

So in homage to my dream destination I have singled out my favorite, uniquely inspired pieces from my three favorite cities in Italy.

Florence was always going to be a top destination for me, having been married there. Being a massive fan of hats, SuperDuper Hats went straight to the top of my list. Each hat that they produce is completely handmade using traditional Italian methods and their love and attention to detail shines through in these beautiful hats. With next season in mind, I’m dreaming of the Estella hat- perfect for the modern Miss Marple look I’m going for.
Having spent several years working as a fashion editor on international glossies, I spent a great deal of time in Milan and really came to love this wonderfully exciting city. Milan is home to the wonderful alienina. Appealing to a more creative and bold crowd, their range of necklaces and bracelets are made re-using ordinary objects and materials and her amazingly chunky necklace square rubber collar is simply out of this world.


Having been home to my mother for her first 25 years, Rome is last on my style tour and is also home to the brilliant Alexandra de Curtis. Alexandra began her design career making stylish baby changing bags, which have been seen dangling from the arms of the likes of Courtney Cox, Angelina Jolie and Naomi Watts. However, spotting a gap in the market for reasonably priced designer bags and designer accessories, Alexandra launched her eponymous line in 2010. Her Isabelle Envelope Clutch will propel you into the Italian fashion elite in no time. "


Seriously, check out this site. It has a huge selection of items ranging from jewelry to bags, to hairpieces and belts. And what's also awesome is that there is a broad range of prices, so there is something for everyone.

Their motto? "I'd rather wear a unique story". . . I couldn't agree more.

PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket